About Me

My photo
I’m a book-reading, craft-making newlywed living outside Chicago. I love my husband, cooking dinner and especially eating desserts! We love to ride bikes all over town and read books at coffee shops. I also enjoy shopping at JoAnns, drinking wine on the patio and playing with my bunny rabbit Penelope. Thanks for stopping by and visiting my blog. Please leave a comment- they really make my day! :)

Monday, April 22, 2013

Adventures in Beekeeping: Painting the Hive


Last year at a gender reveal party (it was a boy!) a good friend told me about her latest hobby: beekeeping.  It was inspiring to hear her speak passionately about the bee crisis in America and the importance of preserving the honeybee population.  Did you know that bees have pollinated every third bite of your food?  Imagine if bees were wiped out?  Say good-bye to your apple, almonds, and blueberries- not to mention HONEY.   I immediately became obsessed with researching honeybees and becoming a beekeeper.  ThatGuy, in his infinate wisdom and budget-conscious ways, urged me to wait until next bee season to make sure this was something I really wanted to spend my time and money on.


It was and is.  In fact, I dragged ThatGuy into the whole thing!

ThatGuy is not sure how he ended up in Bee Class.
We took a class through the local park district and every week was FASCINATING.  We learned a lot about honeybees and beekeeping, but there is much more to learn.  When our teacher asked how many packages of bees we wanted in the spring, I wanted to shout "10!" but ThatGuy talked us down to 2.  We placed orders with a local carpenter and got 2 hives over spring break.

It's a good thing we didn't go with 10 hives... 2 is a lot!

We could have gotten them already painted... but I wanted to have some DIY fun!

A lovely light blue color
40 frames!  Soon to be full of honey.

Waiting for bees!
Up next: the Gear!

No comments:

Post a Comment

comments welcomed :)