About Me

My photo
I’m a book-reading, craft-making newlywed living outside Chicago. I love my husband, cooking dinner and especially eating desserts! We love to ride bikes all over town and read books at coffee shops. I also enjoy shopping at JoAnns, drinking wine on the patio and playing with my bunny rabbit Penelope. Thanks for stopping by and visiting my blog. Please leave a comment- they really make my day! :)

Monday, April 29, 2013

Adventures in Beekeeping: Getting the Bees


After waiting weeks, we finally got the call that the bees had arrived! They were shipped from California to Wisconsin on a semi truck, and our bee teacher transported them from Wisconsin to the western suburbs.  ThatGuy and I were literally waiting outside our teacher's house when he drove up.  You could say were were a little excited. 

Here's a picture of the back of our teacher's truck.  That's a LOT of bees!


We requested a package without "hobos"- bees that are on the outside of the package. 



There are about 15,000 bees in this 3 pound package!   The silver circle is a can of sugar syrup that the bees feed on during their travels. 


ThatGuy with the bees!  He's a brave husband.


We put the bees in the backseat and buckled them in.  ThatGuy put his running shoe in-between the boxes to make sure there was adequate ventilation. 


Up next: installing the hive!

No comments:

Post a Comment

comments welcomed :)