About Me

My photo
I’m a book-reading, craft-making newlywed living outside Chicago. I love my husband, cooking dinner and especially eating desserts! We love to ride bikes all over town and read books at coffee shops. I also enjoy shopping at JoAnns, drinking wine on the patio and playing with my bunny rabbit Penelope. Thanks for stopping by and visiting my blog. Please leave a comment- they really make my day! :)

Monday, October 29, 2012

Pumpkin Books 2012


Today was a fun day in the library- we received 34 pumpkin submissions this year!  You may remember last year I started a pumpkin decorating contest.  Students (and their families) could decorate a pumpkin to look like a book or character from a book. 

There were only  a couple of rules:
1. Pumpkin must resemble a book or book character
2. No carving the pumpkin
3. One entry per student

Yes, clearly there was a lot of help from moms and dads, but I sent this home as a fun family project that would also promote literacy (one of my favorite things to do!).

Here are some of my favorites: 
 
Heathcliff by George Gately- with a dad's original copy!

Elf on the Shelf

If You Give a Dog a Donut by Laura Numeroff

Dumy La Rue by Betsy Lewin

SpongeBob

Amelia Bedelia by Peggy Parish

Pete the Cat by Eric Litwin

The Biggest Snowman Ever by Steven Kroll

Pippi Longstocking

Captain Underpants by Dave Pilkey

Charlie Brown by Charles M. Schultz

Grace for President by Kelly DiPucchio

Geronimo Stilton

Elephant (of Elephant and Piggie) by Mo Willems

It was really fun to see the reactions of the students when they came into the library.  They were so excited to see the pumpkins and it definitely encouraged some books to be checked out- which always makes this librarian happy!  All of the students voted for their favorites and the winner received gift cards to a local independent bookstore in town.

2 comments:

  1. I adore the Amelia Bedelia pumpkin! Those were my favorite books as a kid!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They looked great all set in the library!! Well done!

    ReplyDelete

comments welcomed :)