About Me

My photo
I’m a book-reading, craft-making newlywed living outside Chicago. I love my husband, cooking dinner and especially eating desserts! We love to ride bikes all over town and read books at coffee shops. I also enjoy shopping at JoAnns, drinking wine on the patio and playing with my bunny rabbit Penelope. Thanks for stopping by and visiting my blog. Please leave a comment- they really make my day! :)

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Aw, an awning!


Looking at the coffeeshop, we knew we needed something bright and cheery to make it stand out from the rest of the station.  Because, seriously, the window needs some color.

very white and very boring

Our solution?  An awning!!

very colorful and very fun!

Before I go much further, I have to give credit to where credit is due: thanks to my mom and dad!  This awning would have never happened without them.  If there was some sort of Awning Award, I would give it to them.

First, I ran into my mom at JoAnn's (Does anyone else accidentally bump into their mother at the fabric store?) and we looked for orange and blue striped fabric.  Of course the perfect fabric did not exist, so we bought some solid orange and solid blue to cut stripes and sew together.  I cut stripes of fabric that were 13 inches wide, allowing for a half-inch inseam on each side of the stripe.  My mom sewed them together using coordinating thread.



Then my dad and I went to a couple of hardware stores before we ended up using these metal C cups from the curtain aisle and metal conduit from the electrical section.  We did one that was higher and closer to the wall.  The second pole was lower and farther out from the wall. 


Then we had a major storm, which resulted in a power outage at my mom's house.  She brought her sewing machine to the coffee shop to finish sewing the pocket!  After that we inserted the top pole into the fabric and draped the awning over the lower pole.  Presto Awning!


4 comments:

  1. That is super cute! It makes me want to stop and get coffee! For sure! Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it and it's great to see the after-photos. And of course you know that I have never ever accidentally bumped into my mom at the fabric store! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I carefully read your post to have mind-blowing information. This is a good article. If you already are trying to improve something, send us an email.
    Thank you ...
    Chicago Business Signs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting! I'm no expert, but I think your blog is interesting and useful, but want to learn more
    Information. It is up!
    Thank you for sharing!
    Electric Signs

    ReplyDelete

comments welcomed :)