About Me

My photo
I’m a book-reading, craft-making newlywed living outside Chicago. I love my husband, cooking dinner and especially eating desserts! We love to ride bikes all over town and read books at coffee shops. I also enjoy shopping at JoAnns, drinking wine on the patio and playing with my bunny rabbit Penelope. Thanks for stopping by and visiting my blog. Please leave a comment- they really make my day! :)

Friday, April 13, 2012

Author Skype


My 2nd graders are OBSESSED with a series of books called The Buddy Files. It's told by the point of view of a dog and the author really knows what dogs think!  

The Buddy Files: Case of the Lost Boy

 The first book, The Case of the Missing Boy, actually is centered around 2 mysteries.  The dog, King, gets dropped off at the P-O-U-N-D because his owners never returned from vacation.  He is adopted and renamed Buddy and, get this, his new owners live kitty-corner to his old house!  This is the perfect time for King/Buddy to do some sleuthing and discover what happened to his old family.  

As King/Buddy sniffs for clues, he also starts to get attached to his new family.  King/Buddy's new boy, Connor, misses his old house and runs away.  King/Buddy is determined to help his new Mom find Connor.  Seriously, drama is thick is intermediate novel!  And the author, Dori Hillestad Butler, does an amazing job writing from the perspective of a dog.  

Since both teachers read the book aloud and the books have been flying off the shelves, I knew I had a golden opportunity to really get the kids excited about being an author.  I emailed Dori Hillestad Butler and asked for a free Skype visit.  She agreed and we did one this week.  The kids were beyond excited.  When I told them about the virtual visit, one second grader yelled, "I'm so excited my legs just got weak!" 

I set up the projector, screen and my Mac for our Skype visit and it went great!  The teacher had generated a list of questions with the students and picked kids to come up to the camera to speak.



We learned that Mrs. Butler has a dog named Mouse, writes books for kids of all ages, and knew from a young age that she wanted to be a writer growing up.  And, perhaps the most exciting, Mrs. Butler told us the secret title of her new Buddy Files book!!


But most of all, the kids are excited about writing and reading, which makes this librarian very, very happy. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

comments welcomed :)