About Me

My photo
I’m a book-reading, craft-making newlywed living outside Chicago. I love my husband, cooking dinner and especially eating desserts! We love to ride bikes all over town and read books at coffee shops. I also enjoy shopping at JoAnns, drinking wine on the patio and playing with my bunny rabbit Penelope. Thanks for stopping by and visiting my blog. Please leave a comment- they really make my day! :)

Friday, March 30, 2012

Crocheted Baby Blanket- Guest Post from Katie of JustTenBooks



Katie from JustTenBooks has made a beautiful crochet baby blanket for our childhood friend Karen.  When Karen announced her pregnancy, Katie kicked it into full crochet gear and cranked out this thoughtful gift in a matter of a few weeks!  Here's Katie with her How-To:  


There is something about babies that makes me feel all crafty!  When I hear that someone is having a baby, I just want to make things!  When I heard that a good friend is expecting a little one in August I decide to crochet a baby blanket for her.  Here is the short version of what I did.

Step 1: Yarn

This blanket need 4 skeins of yarn.  2 skeins of the main color, 2 more for the edges.  I choose colors from the Lion Brand Vanna White Collection.  Come to find out Vanna is an avid knitter!  I like this brand because the colors are pleasant and the finished product can go in the washer and drier.  Crucial for baby gear.



Step 2: The main section

Crochet one giant granny square using up an entire skein of yarn.  For excellent instructions on how to make a granny squares, check out the book The Happy Hooker by Debbie Stoller.  Stupid name, but a fantastic book for step by step instructions on how to do simple stitches and projects.


Step 3: the edge

Using the second skein of the main color, double crochet 4 rows all the way around.  For the corners, 2 DC into the corner stitch, chain 2 and then 2 more DC into the same stitch.

Edge color 1: Double crochet 2 rows and make the same corners as above.

Edge color 2: Double crochet 1 row.

Block the blanket (wash it once and stretch it out to dry) and you are done!  Tie a ribbon and tag onto the blanket and you are ready to give the gift (or keep for yourself!)


Here is a variation that I made for my own baby.  You can see him modeling it below.


No comments:

Post a Comment

comments welcomed :)