About Me

My photo
I’m a book-reading, craft-making newlywed living outside Chicago. I love my husband, cooking dinner and especially eating desserts! We love to ride bikes all over town and read books at coffee shops. I also enjoy shopping at JoAnns, drinking wine on the patio and playing with my bunny rabbit Penelope. Thanks for stopping by and visiting my blog. Please leave a comment- they really make my day! :)

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

My Heart is Like a Zoo

My absolute favorite book for February (i.e. Valentine's Day) is My Heart is Like a Zoo by Michael Hall. 

What makes this book so great are the pictures- they are simple, bold and ALL MADE FROM HEARTS!!!  I've used this book with ages 3-7 and everyone loves it.  The kids love guessing the animals and counting the hearts.  Some of the younger kids have a hard time seeing the heart if it's upside-down, so I will rotate the book around to see the hearts from different angles. 

Our local public library asked school libraries to take a month and decorate their bulletin board.  I signed up for February and begged the preschool teachers to let me do a craft with their kids (typically I just do a storytime with books and songs).  Being the great teachers that they are, we made a craft based on Michael Hall's books.  I had each of the classes make a different animals: frogs, seals and lions.


Frogs! (apparently a red-eyed tree frog?)
Seals!
Lions!

Then I took all 60+ animals to the local public library and decorated their HUGE bulletin board with all the frogs, seals and lions.  It looks pretty cheery and colorful!
 







No comments:

Post a Comment

comments welcomed :)