About Me

My photo
I’m a book-reading, craft-making newlywed living outside Chicago. I love my husband, cooking dinner and especially eating desserts! We love to ride bikes all over town and read books at coffee shops. I also enjoy shopping at JoAnns, drinking wine on the patio and playing with my bunny rabbit Penelope. Thanks for stopping by and visiting my blog. Please leave a comment- they really make my day! :)

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Kale is Penelope Approved


 
This post is inspired by Penelope, who devours kale with great enthusiasm and gusto.  To her kale is as decadent as ice cream, as flavorful as fresh tacos, and as scrumptious as a Hersey's kiss. 


Oh Penelope, to have your taste buds.

In my quest to eat healthy I've discovered kale is somewhat of a superfood.  According to the Aggregate Nutrient Density Index (which compares nutrients in a certain food compared to it's calories), kale scores a 1000 out of 1000!  Check out this interesting chart of ANDI scores from Whole Foods.  Unfortunately, chocolate does make any list....

Kale is a new vegetable to ThatGuy and me, and we're trying different ways incorporating it into our diet.  ThatGuy put kale in his morning green smoothies and we love eating pseudo-potato chips: baked kale chips.  

Another way we've had kale is in Kale Potato Soup, taken from Simply in Season.

1 large bunch of kale (steam and set aside)
1 tbs butter
1 large onion (chopped)
1 clove garlic
2 large potatoes (diced)
5 cups broth
salt and pepper

Melt butter in soup pot.  Add onion and saute until golden.  Add garlic and saute one more minute.  Add potatoes and 2 cups broth to the pot.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are soft.  Working in batches, puree the potatoes and kale in a blender and put back into the soup pot.  Add remaining liquid (you could do milk instead of broth) and season.  Serve with Parmesan cheese and crusty bread.




1 comment:

  1. Try kale pesto. :) My family likes it better than basil pesto and it's much, much cheaper to make. If you google it, you'll find a ton of recipes.

    ReplyDelete

comments welcomed :)