About Me

My photo
I’m a book-reading, craft-making newlywed living outside Chicago. I love my husband, cooking dinner and especially eating desserts! We love to ride bikes all over town and read books at coffee shops. I also enjoy shopping at JoAnns, drinking wine on the patio and playing with my bunny rabbit Penelope. Thanks for stopping by and visiting my blog. Please leave a comment- they really make my day! :)

Sunday, January 1, 2012

I Ate Too Much

Bet you can guess my resolution for 2012... yes, I will attempt to become more of a healthy eater and lose some weight!  But before I do, let me share some of the awesome (and deliciously full-fat) recipes I used over winter break.

For Christmas day, I made Green Beans with Cremini Mushrooms from Food and Wine. 

Left side w/out shallots, right side w/shallots!

While this recipe was totally do-able, I did make quite a mess in the kitchen and felt a little like a contestant from Top Chef using fancy ingredients like crème fraîche and frying shallots in vegetable oil.  (side note: my local grocery store does not carry crème fraîche, so I put 1 tbs of Greek yogurt in a pint of heavy whipping cream and let it sit out for the night.)  ThatGuy definitely enjoyed the beans, but could not tell the difference from this fancy version to the French's Fried Onion casserole.  Humph! 

At my high school friend Framily Dinner, I was in charge of dessert.  I brought along my electric fondue pot (a wedding gift I did not register for, but actually has come in handy) to make a chocolate fondue.  I looked at the recipes on the Food Network site and ended up just dumped some bittersweet chocolate chips in my pot along with some heavy whipping cream and let it all melt together.  Served with strawberries, orange slices, apple slices, marshmallows and pretzels it was very yummy!  

I also topped a gluten free angel food cake from Whole Foods (seriously the best angel food cake I've ever tasted) with homemade whipped cream.  Homemade whipped cream is so delicious and worth the easy extra effort.  In a mixing bowl add 1 tbs. vanilla, 2-3 tbs. sugar and 1 pint of heavy whipping cream.  Whip until stiff peaks form.  Eat straight out of the bowl.  Just kidding- make sure to top it on whatever you're serving it with.  Then lick the bowl.  And I'm not kidding anymore....  And I don't have a picture of anything because I was too busy eating it.

For New Year's Eve I bought out the electric fondue pot again and made a cheese fondue.  Is there anything better in the world than cheese and wine?!  Answer: No, there is not.  I used this recipe from Nigella Lawson of Food Network with Gruyere and Emmental cheeses.  Last year I also attempted cheese fondue and couldn't find the right cheeses so I improvised.  Listen to me people- the right cheese makes the difference between a delicious creamy, cheesy sauce and a chunky cheesy blob in the center of your fondue pot. 

The right cheese makes alllll the difference!

To go along with the cheese fondue we had grapes, bread, carrots, and delicious sausage-cheddar meatballs we learned about at Framily dinner.  Oh, and a pepperoni pizza from Costco.  You can thank ThatGuy for that.   


While we bid 2011 farewell with full bellies and high cholesterol, we're ready to make some better choices in 2012.  Get ready for some healthier recipes!!  




1 comment:

  1. I make cheese fondue several time a year. I love having it for dinner because it is so easy to make. I am with you, finiding the right cheese is tricky (and the hardest part of the dish). I usually just make the chocolate fondue for Valentine's Day. I would love to make it all the time but then I'd eat it all the time and I am trying to eat healthier this year too. I am definately going to try those meatballs next time I make the cheese fondue, sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete

comments welcomed :)