About Me

My photo
I’m a book-reading, craft-making newlywed living outside Chicago. I love my husband, cooking dinner and especially eating desserts! We love to ride bikes all over town and read books at coffee shops. I also enjoy shopping at JoAnns, drinking wine on the patio and playing with my bunny rabbit Penelope. Thanks for stopping by and visiting my blog. Please leave a comment- they really make my day! :)

Monday, January 16, 2012

Heart Art


For our one-year anniversary I made ThatGuy this present:  


I call it "Heart Art" because its a piece of art made using  hearts... I'm very creative. 

For this project you will need several pictures, a shadow box, cutting tool, ruler, paper and glue.  

Since this was an anniversary project I printed out pictures from our first year of marriage.  I also converted them to black and white to make a more cohesive look instead of having many different colors from regular pictures.  


  

First, I cut out hearts using my Silhouette.  The hearts were 1 inch by 1.5 inches, so I was able to get 6 hearts per pictures.  Some of the hearts turned out really cute, while other I just tossed into the garbage.  I used 60 hearts total to make this project.

ThatGuy in the bizzard of Feb. '11.  We had so much snow!!



Because I am HORRIBLE at measuring things straight and even, I made a paper outline of 1 inch by 1 inch and placed it over a piece of white 12x12 paper.  This acted as a guide to insure the hearts would start and stop with the same margins.  I also used a ruler to help make sure the lines were straight and the hearts were evenly placed.

Then I creased each heart down the center and used Elmers glue down the back fold.  Using a ruler as a guide, I glued a heart at every inch.

 

In hindsight I would recommend using hot glue.  I used Elmers glue, which means I had to wait between rows for the hearts to dry before moving on. In order to make the hearts stand straight up, I slid in pencils and let the hearts rest on them.


Continue gluing hearts, making sure your hearts line up.  Again, I used the ruler to help in making straight, evenly spaced lines of hearts.



Segway tour in Chicago!

4th of July fireworks!


When the 12x12 white paper is filled up with rows of hearts, just pop it into the shadow box frame! 

I used a cute red ribbon to hang the art up on the wall.  

ThatGuy was really touched and impressed with the heart art!  Not only is it a unique wall hanging, but it also had a lot of great memories for us!




27 comments:

  1. I love the sentiment - it turned out super cute. Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ♥ this!! What a great idea! The hearts look like butterflies, sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwww! I so love this! Gotta try this out!
    Happy Anniversary! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cute! It's my husband and my 6 month anniversary today :) Happy Anniversary to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You r sooooo creative dear... keep it up <3 <3 gonna make one for my hubby .. tq

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is too cute. I think I might try it, but make a few of the center hearts in a red tone...and then have them in the shape of a heart...<3

    ReplyDelete
  7. SO cute!! What a fun Valentine's Day project this would be. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is soooo cute! Great idea. Thanks for linking up at Crafty Sasse Wednesday!

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this idea! It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea. Definately one to try. :) thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so cute. I would love to do this for my hubby and I's anniversary :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cool- so many occasions and landmarks this concept could be used for! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it!! I'm your newest follower!! Thanks for sharing at Overflowing with Creativity! My new giveaway started TODAY!

    XO, Aimee

    {Giveaway} Customizable Frames, Signs, Decor

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful! I found you through Happy Hour Projects. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! This is amazing. I love it :)

    Stopping by from Happy Hour Projects. Hope you can visit me at www.actfastchef.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I found you on Tip Junkie! I would like to invite you to share this post with our readers for Fun Stuff Fridays. http://www.toysinthedryer.com/2012/01/fun-stuff-fridays-7.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is such a cool project! I LOVE it! Totally going to have to make this! I am having a Feature Friday Linky Party and would love for you to link up.

    http://blissfulanddomestic.blogspot.com/search/label/Friday%20Link%20Party

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sooo cute! Ilove that each heart holds a special memory! I am your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is priceless--I love it! Such a unique idea and so full of memories.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi there! Thanks for sharing your wonderful project with us over at Craft Junkie Too -- congrats it was our 2nd most viewed linky from last week's party…..woo hooo!! Stop by and grab the Top 3 button if you'd like! :)
    Tracy
    http://www.craftjunkietoo.com/2012/01/tgif-linky-party-42.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love this! I'm pinning it. i would love if you'd link it to my Valentine Craft Linky! Have a great weekend!
    michelle
    http://www.heartfeltbalancehandmadelife.com/search/label/VALENTINE%20CRAFT%20LINKY/

    ReplyDelete
  22. Awesome project!

    You have been featured!

    http://www.thesasselife.com/2012/01/crafty-sasse-wednesday-link-party-23.html

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is SO CUTE! A great idea…may have to give you the utmost compliment and create one myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. That is adorable! Can I add my request to the long line of people asking you to link up? I would absolutely love it if you would link this project up to our "impossibility" party. Here's the link:

    http://thistlewoodfarm.wordpress.com/2012/01/31/a-journey-of-1000-steps/

    Thanks for the inspiration!

    blessings,
    karianne

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am really liking this idea....Valentine gift 2013! ☺

    Iris♥ -The Blue Birdhouse

    ReplyDelete

comments welcomed :)