About Me

My photo
I’m a book-reading, craft-making newlywed living outside Chicago. I love my husband, cooking dinner and especially eating desserts! We love to ride bikes all over town and read books at coffee shops. I also enjoy shopping at JoAnns, drinking wine on the patio and playing with my bunny rabbit Penelope. Thanks for stopping by and visiting my blog. Please leave a comment- they really make my day! :)

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Pumpkin Books

I know this is a little late for Halloween, but a good idea to tuck away for next year (or to do now with pumpkins on post-Halloween clearance!).

This year I hosted a "decorate a pumpkin to look like a book character" contest in the library.  Since this was the first year, I was a little nervous about the quantity and  quality of the pumpkins, but I was really happy with the entries!

There were only  a couple of rules:
1. Pumpkin must resemble a book or book character
2. No carving the pumpkin
3. One entry per student

Yes, clearly there was a lot of help from moms and dads, but I sent this home as a fun family project that would also promote literacy (one of my favorite things to do!).

Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney

Runny Babbit by Shel Silverstein

Grace for President by Kelly DiPucchio

Skippyjon Jones by Judy Schachner

Ivy and Bean by Annie Barrows (love this one- she did Ivy on one side and Bean on the other!)

Arthur's Vacation by Marc Brown

This one is DW- Arthur's sister.  The kids who made these are sisters and they used playdough tops for the ears!

Charlotte's Web by E.B. White
It was really fun to see the reactions of the students when they came into the library.  They were so excited to see the pumpkins and it definitely encouraged some books to be checked out- which always makes this librarian happy!  All of the students voted for their favorites and the winner received gift cards to a local independent bookstore in town.

2 comments:

  1. These are super and so creative. The Arthur ones are really great! I can bet the kids were so excited to see them. I am a new follower from Ginger Snap Crafts. Vicky from Mess For Less

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I love this idea! Very cute! I'm especially fond of the GRACE FOR PRESIDENT pumpkin. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

comments welcomed :)