About Me

My photo
I’m a book-reading, craft-making newlywed living outside Chicago. I love my husband, cooking dinner and especially eating desserts! We love to ride bikes all over town and read books at coffee shops. I also enjoy shopping at JoAnns, drinking wine on the patio and playing with my bunny rabbit Penelope. Thanks for stopping by and visiting my blog. Please leave a comment- they really make my day! :)

Friday, December 2, 2011

MERRY banner





While pulling out the Christmas decoration box, I asked ThatGuy how we should decorate.  He said "natural" so that's the theme I took to heart.  Now this girl loves glitter and all things shiny, but I suppose in our first Christmas where we decorate together I will give him his way.  Next year, however, all bets are off and the house will be an explosion of tinsel and glam!


I forgot to take pictures of the first couple of steps... sorry.  Using fusible bonding, attach to one side of the burlap.  Cut into triangles and then fuse to the felt.  Cut around the burlap with pinking shears.  I cut out letters in vinyl using my Silhouette and stuck the outline to the burlap triangle.  Then apply your paint.



Peel off the vinyl.  I decided to attach some brass eyelets on either side of the triangle to have a more finished look.  While I was pounding away at my craft table ThatGuy came in to see what I was doing!  I think he was impressed with all the noise my little craft hammer can make. 


I threaded some twine through the eyelets and wrapped the ends around a pinecone.  Then I just attached the banner to the shutters using Scotch tape- easy!




This natural look does look pretty good!  ThatGuy approves and especially likes that I was able to use supplies I already owned.

*Update* My cute banner has been featured at Made in a Day, Happy Hour Projects, SugarBee, JAQS Studio and  on SewChatty's Facebook page!

15 comments:

  1. Very cute!! Looks great! Love the pop of red!

    would LOVE for you to link up to our "Home For The Holidays" link party!

    www.uncommondesignsonline.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this - "merry" is my favorite sentiment of the season - and I just got 50 lbs of burlap remnants today. No, I'm not kidding. I actually have 50 lbs. of burlap. You probably need to see it to believe it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute! Love the green shutters too! Thanks so much for linking up to The Creative Spark - I hope to see you again next week!
    Jenn :)
    P.S. I really like your blog design!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute! I'm doing a 25 Days of Handmade Christmas series and I'm looking for people to share their Christmas tutorials. Would you be interested in sharing this or any other Christmas tutorial? You can find more details on my blog or you can email me at embracingmessy@gmail.com.

    http://embracingmessy.blogspot.com/2011/12/25-days-of-homemade-christmas-day-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is GORGEOUS!! Would LOVE it if you would link this up at my turquoise lovin' party! (and red during the holidays!) http://www.sweetlittlegals.com/2011/11/turquoise-lovin-15.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. joy this is darling! i love it! i love burlap projects. thanks for posting :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks AMAZING! Beautiful job!!! TFS! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a cute banner! I LOVE burlap! Thanks for linking up to Sew Chatty! I'm featuring you on the FB page today! http://www.facebook.com/SewChatty

    ReplyDelete
  9. So very cute. I'm very into banners right now, but haven't made one of burlap yet. Thanks for posting!

    Buffie
    http://papercuts4u.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. this looks awesome!

    When you get a chance - love for you to link up to my "Made by ME" linky party: http://www.jaqsstudio.com/2011/12/made-by-me-9-linky-party-and-features.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Joy for linking up last week at Made U Look Thursday! I featured your Banner! Come by and get your button! and I would love it if you would link something up again tomorrow!
    Kim@madeinaday
    http://madeinaday.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great banner, I love it and I love your display. Your bunny is so sweet, we have two bunnies, Tulip and Daisy, Tulip looks very much like yours. Yes, bunny proofing.... :-) I enjoyed peeking around your blog and am a new follower. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome Tutorial and great after picture!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I featured your project today :)

    http://www.jaqsstudio.com/2011/12/made-by-me-10-linky-party-and-features.html

    ReplyDelete

comments welcomed :)