About Me

My photo
I’m a book-reading, craft-making newlywed living outside Chicago. I love my husband, cooking dinner and especially eating desserts! We love to ride bikes all over town and read books at coffee shops. I also enjoy shopping at JoAnns, drinking wine on the patio and playing with my bunny rabbit Penelope. Thanks for stopping by and visiting my blog. Please leave a comment- they really make my day! :)

Sunday, September 18, 2011

DIY Fall Subway Art

Lately I've been obsessed with Subway Art, but haven't found the perfect Fall print for our home.  Luckily, I found this awesome tutorial that explains how to make your own using Picasa and Picnik.  I'm lame and wasn't able to figure out the Picasa part, but I was able to create it all in Picnik!  ThatGuy and I brainstormed words that we associate with Fall and here's our final product:
Did you notice that Football is the largest word?!

The first thing to do it download a high resolution white jpeg, like this one. Then upload it to Picnik (you will also have to make a free log in, if you don't already belong).  Pick the Text button under the Edit tab.

 

Then you will create text boxes for each of your words.  Type the word in the box, pick the font and then click "add."


 On the right hand side you can pick the color of your word.

Your word will have little circles that will make it smaller or larger.  You can use the circle on the top to rotate your word.  I think it looks good to have a word or two running vertical! 
 Underneath the edit tab, you can select Border and there are many options.  I think the best is Museum Matte. You can select the thickness and the color.  Be careful once you select it- I can't figure out how to delete it!


Finally, you can save the photo to your computer!

I printed my Subway Art at Costco using these directions from the girls at Eighteen25.

5 comments:

  1. That is so cool! I love that it is personalized for your family. Thanks for sharing how to do it! I am a new follower:)
    www.karismaheartsavannah.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute idea, love it! Stop over for a visit sometime...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome.. I LOVE IT…Found ya on hop and officially following ya with smiles..I have a fall inspired blog party going on and would LOVE for you to link this awesome piece to it today ) TY http://theartsygirlconnection.blogspot.com/2011/09/fall-crawl-day-5-blog-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE this tutorial...this will come in handy for me as I've VERY new to picnik! I'm book-marking this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome!! I have been trying to hand paint a "Family Rules" subway art sign and it just isn't working out.. Already a member of picnik but never thought of doing it like that.. Thanks.. Just finished it and I love it!!

    ReplyDelete

comments welcomed :)