About Me

My photo
I’m a book-reading, craft-making newlywed living outside Chicago. I love my husband, cooking dinner and especially eating desserts! We love to ride bikes all over town and read books at coffee shops. I also enjoy shopping at JoAnns, drinking wine on the patio and playing with my bunny rabbit Penelope. Thanks for stopping by and visiting my blog. Please leave a comment- they really make my day! :)

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Ugly Conference Bag Turned Pretty

The other week I saw this awesome tutorial by Less Cake, More Frosting on the Tatertots and Jello blog. This genius woman transformed an ugly conference bag into a super cute camera bag! Immediately I thought of this bag hidden in the depths of my closet.


It was from the Illinois Computing Educators Conference (yes, I'm a dork) about 2 years ago. It's a well constructed bag so I never had the heart to throw it out. I never used it before, but I will now! Meet my new back to school bag!

Well, here's how I did it (and I'm no expert, as shown in the following directions). First of all, rip the bag apart.


Then cut your cute fabric to fit the conference bag pieces.


To make sure the cute fabric adheres to the conference bag, I used spray adhesive. The reason I did this was to make sure the bag would be sturdy. My fabric, although cute, is pretty flimsy and could never hold books, binders and laptops by itself.

Then I wrapped the fabric to the other side and did a quick stitch to really combine the conference bag and cute fabric together.

I do not have any pictures of the following step because it exceeded my skill level as a sewer! I had to bring the bag over to my mom's house and she sewed the pieces back together. Mom to the rescue!


Say good-bye to ugly conference bags and hello to a cute back to school work bag!

8 comments:

  1. i *love* this idea! i have soooo many of these ugly bags that i too do not have the heart to throw away. i will most certainly be doing this!
    awesome!
    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is adorable! I have many free bags like this that could use some attention - especially those free baby bags you get at the hospital and drs offices! Please come and link up at my Mommy Monday party here http://momommamoney.blogspot.com/2011/08/mommy-monday.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your fabric choice. That is great. And what a great way to use something you wouldn't have otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! That looks amazing! I really love that fabric. My bag was the same....so well made....but UGLY! I'm so glad we BOTH got brand new bags, for next to no money! Yay us! (thanks for the e-mail too. You have a really cute blog!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite dog mom tote (for the dog park, visiting parents, etc.) is a freebie bag. I sewed a cute front pocket over the logo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant! We have half a dozen of these, and several of them are perfect candidates for a makeover. Now where are those fabric coupons...?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow so creative.... Thank you so much for sharing.
    I am new follower from the Craft Junkie Too Linking party would love for you to come by my blog
    www.touchedbyabutterfly.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always wanted to transform an ugly bag. Pinning this now!

    ReplyDelete

comments welcomed :)