About Me

My photo
I’m a book-reading, craft-making newlywed living outside Chicago. I love my husband, cooking dinner and especially eating desserts! We love to ride bikes all over town and read books at coffee shops. I also enjoy shopping at JoAnns, drinking wine on the patio and playing with my bunny rabbit Penelope. Thanks for stopping by and visiting my blog. Please leave a comment- they really make my day! :)

Friday, July 1, 2011

4th of July Shirt

My niece is sleeping over tonight which means... making crafts! My niece is way into crafts- she has 2 desks completely dedicated to her supplies at her house. When I confessed the house was a little messy because I was too busy crafting today instead of cleaning, she said that happens to her every day.

Her mom sent her with a red t-shirt, which is crying out for some festive decorations. Inspired by this Tatertots and Jello project, we did our own version (no sew, of course!).

We first measured out a flag design, doing a 4x6 inch template on a piece of paper. Each strip is 1 inch wide and either 4 or 6 inches long. The blue square is 2x2 inches. We decided we liked the size of the flag pieces and cut the same sizes out in fusible interfacing.



We laid the interfacing pieces on the backside of the fabric and ironed them on. Then she cut out the pieces.



We laid the pieces out right side up on the tee shirt, being careful to measure to make sure the flag is even.



We ironed each piece down and Lexi decided it needed "something." She cut out some fun fireworks and I ironed them down for her.



This shirt is ready for the 4th! To make it last for next year, we might stop at Grammy's house and have her sew around the flag pieces to make sure they stand up to multiple washings.

1 comment:

  1. So cute!!! I love that you made the stripes different colors. Adorable!


    xoxoxoxo
    Jen

    ReplyDelete

comments welcomed :)